Shoes


People collect lots of different things: coins, stamps, baseball cards, figurines, etc. I collect something much more practical and fun: shoes. Warning: if you are a male reading this, go no further. You won't get it.

Shoes are not only a practical item that keep your tender tootsies safe from sharp objects, they are a work of art. Women who have 10 pairs of shoes or less are in the minority. You need at LEAST 30 pairs of shoes for a basic shoe wardrobe. Not only do you need shoes for different seasons (in the Midwest, anyway) but you need shoes for different occasions and applications. Thus, 30 pairs is really the absolute minimum.

Shoes are a great equalizer. You may not have the world's best figure (who does?) but you CAN have the best shoes. I don't count my shoes anymore. It's too embarrassing. No one needs this many shoes. Yes, yes, I know there are barefoot people in the world. Since it's an addiction, can I explain it as a medical condition, and thus, expiate any blame (or shame)?

I recently discovered a new website that may well put me in the poorhouse. Since any good addict wants her friends to join her, check out http://www.piperlime.com. Piperlime is owned the by The Gap and offers hundreds of shoes, similar to Zappos
http://www.zappos.com. They have great sales, and if you should order and your shoes go on sale within 14 days, they'll give you a credit if you call them. This is a big deal for me, because I don't pay retail for anything if I can help it. You also get free shipping and handling and free return labels. (no, I'm not getting anything from Piperlime)

I just received the shoes pictured above. One comfortable pair for work and one pair for going out. I believe in keeping things balanced. You buy one functional pair and one non-functional pair. One you need, and one you don't. Shoe people understand this logic perfectly. Did I need these shoes? Of course, not, that's not the point. They make me feel better. And, they're way cheaper than therapy. I can buy 3 pairs of shoes for a hundred dollars, but for that price I'd be lucky to get 45 minutes of therapy. And, further justification, as if I needed it, shoes last longer.

6 comments:

RW said...

Um... send you to the Poor House?

Ok...

Mrs RW said...

Don't you go everywhere with me?

Laurence said...

I really love the red shoes !!!
I have the same problem but not only with shoes... (with glasses too) !!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

SHOES!!!! how fabulous!

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

I was so excited about your links to Piperlime and Zappos. I am a shoe addict myself. Yet, when I checked them out, I was disappointed to find that they do not accept international orders {sigh}. :(

Unknown said...

I like the red heel shoe...It looks like my favorite josef seibel shoe....fantastic